Today I decided to continue my blog.
I did so all of a sudden, with no particular reason.
Well, that's not true actually. When I re-read my old blog entries, there were several parts that made me think:"Oh yes, I had forgotten about that!" or "Was it really like that?", and I realized how much of my experiences during my year in Japan I had already forgotten. Isn't that a pity?
So I thought I should re-start the writing. Not only is it a good exercise to improve my highly weird English, it will also help me remember the many pleasant or unpleasant, important and unimportant things that happen throughout the years.
I don't have anything recent to post at the moment I still think I'll find a lot of stuff to write about.
Let's see if I can do it!
Yeah, Maybe I'll start by writing down a nice memory from Japan, that I don't want to forget, no matter what.
When I was travelling the country together with my parents and brother in the springtime of 2006 we went to Osaka and rode the subway.
I was standing at the doors and when they closed and we were about to leave the station I looked out and saw a train employee. I don't know exactly what kind of employee he was, probably a guard, and he had a really pleasant face so I looked at him.
At the same time he looked at my direction accidentally and I smiled at him. He smiled back and waved at me with his hand in a white glove in a very funny movement. I laughed out loud, and so did he (though I couldn't hear him). Then the train left the station.
It was not really anything important, but for this one moment I felt really at home in Japan. It's a stupid thought, after all that man only noticed me because I'm obviously blonde, and he probably just wanted to be friendly to the foreigner. Still, I felt different and still do. I didn't feel particularly unwanted in Japan during my stay, but of course, I got stared at from time to time. I didn't mind too much, after all, when I see a black man in my quarter in Berlin I stare at him for a moment as well, just because it is unusual to see one. There is no sympathy nor antipathy, I just notice him, and so did the Japanese when they saw me.
Most of them didn't care I was there (which is what sane people should do), but some tried to talk to me and "befriend" me in a way that made it obvious and clear that they were what I liked to call "Gaijin Whores" - People who just want to show you around. They are the worst.
However, that man at the subway station in Osaka kind of gave me a feeling that we were alike. Just two people who, at that very moment we both laughed, wer alike.
幸せ様に!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment