Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Busy Me

Just two weeks left until I'll face - again - the JLPT Level 1 exam. Although I studied a lot, I am quite sure I'll fail it again.
My plan was to use the free hours I have left between university and work for some hard work on my vocabulary and grammar. However, things turned out a little different.

Two weeks ago a friend of mine called to offer me a part-time job. Again I did not have to apply for a job, compete about it, or be nervous whether or not I'd get it. I was just offered it due to being lucky, and, after handing in my CV, got accepted right away. (Why am I so lucky with jobs? I seriously don't get it, though I certainly don't mind....)
It's a job where I'll have to make some phone calls in Japanese, telling people about a business park and asking if it'd be ok to send them further material.
How could I not accept such an opportunity?

What scares me a little is that the people who hired me know nothing about the Japanese language. That means that neither of them can judge whether or not I will be able to do my job well. So I had to think about it myself and then tell them whether or not I'd be able to do it. I was kind of worried that I was not up to the challenge, but then I told myself to "get a grip" and consider the fact that I have almost got my university diploma. My education has technically been completed, and then---- I WORRY about some simple phone calls? How pathetic am I?
So I accepted the offer. Nevertheless, I am a little uneasy about the whole thing. What if the one I call asks me a question I don't understand? After all, the subject might be something technical. You don't know your vocabulary, you fail.
On the other hand, that's probably not going to happen at all, for in the end, I am supposed to initialize a first contact, more or less saying "This is what we wanted to tell you, would you mind me sending you further material?"

Second, as far as I understood the whole thing, it's going to be pretty hard to get the Japanese guys in person. It's much more probable that their secretaries (Germans) will take the call and probably not even pass me on to their bosses, so I guess I will do a lot of the talking in German.

Soooooo will I eventually stop worrying? I am good at what I'm doing! I've always been. I was scared and uneasy with almost EVERY job I ever tried, and never ever did I fail. Instead, I've mastered all of my jobs very well, and this will not be any different.


GANBARE, NORI!!!!


On a side note: Today I had my very first christmas sweets. Spice nuts! They were delicious and amazingly tasty.
Next will hopefully be HeartStarPretzels :D

Hurray for Christmas time, the time when darkness and cold are filled with brilliant lights and cozy hot wine....

忍者レベル 41

2 comments:

  1. Tabea9:01 AM

    Du strahlst eben Kompetenz aus, kein Wunder, dass die dich alle haben wollen. :) Viel Erfolg beim neuen Job!

    In den ersten zwei Monaten meines Praktikums hatte ich jedes Mal eine scheiß Angst ans Telefon zu gehen. Weil... oh Gott, Business Japanisch, kein Augenkontakt, nuschelnde Menschen... o___O Aber nachdem ich's ein paar Mal gemacht hatte, lief es immer besser und jetzt blicke ich mit Stolz darauf zurück, weil ich meine blöde Telefonierangst besiegen konnte. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach Tabi, du bist so lieb!

    Ich hoffehoffehoffe nur, dass das bei mir ähnlich gut läuft. Der Idealfall wäre, dass die mir entweder ganz kurz sagen "Sorry, kein Interesse" oder "Ok, schicken Sie mal rüber".
    Aber bittebittebitte, hoffentlich haben die keine schwierigeren Fragen.
    Deutschland-Geschäftsführer einer Firma: männlicher Japaner in mindestens mittlerem Alter = seltsame Männersprache, die ich schon face to face nicht so richtig verstehe....
    Und ich habe so wenig praktische Redeübung, deshalb hab ich schon ziemlich Angst vor der Sache.

    Aber vielleicht wird's ja auch ganz prima laufen, man weiß es halt nicht.
    Und hey, wer braucht schon viel Schlaf, was?

    ReplyDelete