Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On another sunny day

I had 3 classes at HU today. Two of them were held by our new professor, a Japanese from Kyoto. His hair is black! You might think now "Well, how about he's ASIAN?", but in fact, this man is exceptionally young for a guest professor at HU Japanese Institute. Usually our professor does his best to find some very, very, very old men who are barely able to walk anymore. And their hair is always white which makes them look just as old as they are. Like... 112 years.....
Now, the new teacher is about to teach for 6 weeks. This is great, as I only have to attend his classes for those 6 weeks, but I will get full credit points, as if it was the whole 12 weeks of this semester. I LOVE it!
Of course his English is horrible. The funny thing is that he is holding his bushidô lecture in English, and there are even some people there who can't speak japanese. Haha, I made a fool of myself.... In his bad English he asked if there was anybody who can't speak Japanese, but I didn't understand properly and raised my hand, as I thought he'd asked who CAN speak it.

Ooooooh, embarassment³
As Harry also sat in the class to kind of make sure that things would go smoothly on professor Ks first day, he must have seen that, and probably thought I was the dumbest student he'd ever had....
Weeeeeeeeeeell, that's ok....

The translation class was.... well, he held it in Japanese, and we also got a hand out of the text we're going to translate. It looks like you can do it, but it's got a lot of vocabulary I can't read.... And professor K wrote so many Kanji words on the blackboard, and he talked pretty fast (most of our teachers slow down so that we can follow more easily, but he didn't), and the funny thing was that, while he was telling us a lot about confucianism, and pluralism, and stuff, and, like, you know, and more, he would tell us dates in English. I thought: where's your logic? Expect us to follow your lecture, but not to be able to know 1715 in Japanese? Noooo, it had to be sebuntin-handoleddo huiffteen.
Jerk.

Yeah, but I like his black hair. It's black. He also made fun of Professor Kinski, well, I don't know how "negative" he wanted to be, he kind of laughed about the fact that with professor Kinski all we would study would be table-manners in Tokugawa Japan, and how there would be no Japanese experts for this, and he really laughed. We all laughed, too, and I think that's ok, because professor Kinski didn't take that stuff too serious as well and he also liked to make fun of the fact that he wrote those complicated articles on how to eat fried fish and stuff.

Yeah, then we had translation class with Harry. Sounds like it's really going to be interesting, but I never had any doubt in that.
Oh yeah, I said something funny today. And as I don't say really funny things very often, and if I do, they are hardly my own words, I must write this down before I forget it:

When C, who is from Saxony, stated that he was WESTERN SAXONIAN after all, and that would make a real difference (to what? Saxons in general? Eastern Saxons?) I said "... Oh yeah, the black sheep's blating 'look closely, I'm anthracite!'"

Haha, I found that funny and creative. Go, girl! You're fun!

1 comment:

  1. Geil! Hab mich gerade vor lachen weggeschmissen!!!!!! :D Ja, ja, die Sachsen :P

    Ach ja: Und, wie ist Harrys Japanisch? Kann er's? Besser als Kinski? Oder absolute Katastrophe???

    ReplyDelete